Monday, February 25, 2013

It Was Fine

As I said I would, I watched the Academy Awards. It is, I suppose, a worthwhile way of spending time. I think that next year I may want to watch alone with all my electronic devices off. This is not anything to do with spoilers, because I did watch the show as it aired. There are just times that I realize how very much I differ with the world, or at least with those I am around. It's a frustrating experience, to say the least.

I did watch the show with friends, and I did say that's the only way I would do it, but I think I might have been mistaken. There were some happy times, but I found myself getting mad about for a wide range of progressively less rational reasons. There's no use getting into that, I suppose. For my part, I enjoyed the show. I did not have a lot of expectations about the quality of presentation or the people and films who ought to be receiving the awards.

Host Seth MacFarlane was mainly all right, although he began shakily enough. I think they give too much time to the hosts of these things. They seem to think that a three hour show honoring film ought to be very funny, and they put all that on the host. My opinion is that the host ought to do no more than guide the ship, binding together the many parts of this complex, slow-moving machine so that it all flows together.

That aside, I have no real complaints. They promised to honor the best in film, but as I remember previous iterations of the Oscars, I expect no more than that they hand out a bunch of trophies. They did that, they told a few tolerable jokes, put on a few neat song and dance numbers and paid homage to a fair amount of the industry's deceased titans. It all wasn't perfect, but I was eager to enjoy the show, not castigate it for failing to be perfect or even good. They'll never do it perfectly and they've never done it really well, so I was delighted to see they did all right.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

It's tough for someone in your position, given your education and experience, to watch something of this nature without having the glaring flaws slapping you upside the head.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?