Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ideas To Give Wing

I have lately had a couple of ideas for songs. As I may have said before, I cannot play an instrument, so maybe they're just remain songs. I hope to learn an instrument, like the ukulele, but for now I am more a poet than a songwriter. Either title is a stretch, but I think that the words I write are decent enough that the former could be true.That's why I'll keep going with these ideas of mine. I think they're pretty good ideas.

The first one is a parody. I have gotten fond of Adele, whose "Rolling In The Deep" I heard at a pole dancing performance before I heard her sing the title song for "Skyfall". I also like "Someone Like You". It's a powerful message, what she says about moving on and coming to terms with the person you're leaving in your past. I hope to adapt it in order to pay tribute to one of my favorite scenes in film history: Rambo's escape from the POW camp in "First Blood Part 2".

You see, Rambo is being tortured mercilessly by a Russian officer for what must be hours at least. The officer tells Rambo that he was betrayed by the slimy Murdock, but Rambo doesn't bow down. Instead, he uses his anger with Murdock to fuel a heroic, superhuman escape. I'm not going to try and do the whole of the scene justice, but let me just say that my song will be entitled "Coming To Get You", and I have high hopes for it.

The second song is more vague. Its genesis lays in a status update someone posted on Facebook. They said, "The TV in our motel room is a little too small and a little too low". The accompanying picture shows a little TV nearly level with the bed. I saw a soft, slow love song playing out- one of those ones where the couple lacks material goods, but have their love. I haven't really written that out any more than the Rambo song, but I know what it will sound like.

I do hope I see these through. There's all too great a risk that I won't even get them so far as the point where they need music, but I hope I do. I'm told that the part I consider myself good at is as hard to some as the other part is to me, so maybe I'm not so bad off. If I can just find someone adept at writing the music, we'd be a hell of a team. Maybe we wouldn't be Rodgers and Hammerstein, but we'd be something.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

It's important to keep exploring your potential! Keep at it!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?