Sunday, March 10, 2013

More On Books

I have been getting a reasonable amount of reading done lately. I have recently finished "Johnny Got His Gun" and am reading the more upbeat "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", which relates the ups and downs of musician Warren Zevon's life. Many chapters of his life are rather ugly, but they remain more pleasant than the story of the former book. I'm getting through it rather quickly, and am eager enough to lug it around with me in spite of its unwieldy size and weight.

I expect I won't be long in finishing it, which leads me to entertain ideas of what I may read next. There's always a flourish of great excitement when that time comes along. Any book is possible from some recent work to a classic to some slender tome of pulp. I could attempt to work down the pile of unread books in my possession  as I was doing when I read Dalton Trumbo's book, but it is tough to get enthused about something old. We'll see about that. If I rid myself of all the books I don't want to have around, the survivors make appear to be more appealing reads.

I may indeed look outside for my next book. It occurs to me that I've never read a book by Charles Dickens, and am familiar with none outside of adaptations made from "A Christmas Carol". Perhaps I might seek out one of the others, such as "A Tale Of Two Cities" or "David Copperfield". As I said, I know nothing about them except for their reputation for being good and long. One of those might suffice.

I might also just cast about the library hoping for something to catch my eye as I have done sometimes in the past. I may also attempt to make use of the credit I've accrued at the local used bookstore, whose inventory I have yet to fully explore and which may have a lot of books unavailable to me at the library. Whatever I come up with, I'm sure it will be thoroughly entertaining and rewarding, or else I will claim it was.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Ha! Good one!
I enjoyed "A Tale Of 2 Cities and iT actually wasn't that long.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?