Saturday, March 2, 2013

Still Here

Still hanging around the apartment is something that I thought I would have dealt with by now. An awfully long time ago, a fellow member of my Toastmasters club entrusted me with his tickets for a raffle. I submitted them for a variety of prizes, taking care to balance desirability with winability. One thing that I won on his behalf was a jigsaw puzzle: "Forbidden Planet". Believe it or not, he didn't want it, so he gave it to me.

I wouldn't have necessarily been eager for it myself, but I am generally glad to get free things, as most people are. I figured that I would put it together at some point, and I would have by now, but I've been hoping for someone to put it together with. Some time ago, a friend expressed interest, and we made plans for her to come around and help do the puzzle, but somehow those plans fell through and never were renewed.

Since then, the puzzle box has done nothing more than decorate my room. I have it on the back of a computer desk concealing part of my blank, undecorated wall. Every now and then I think of just putting it together, and there's never been a better time to do it. A number of days ago I cleaned my two desks and my little end table here in my bedroom, and so there are plenty of good, flat surfaces which I could use.

Still I hope to do the puzzle with someone, and it's that sort of thing that always does make a simple task take so much longer. A puzzle just seems like something you do with someone, and if I'm getting ambitious, it seems to me like something of a romantic activity. Maybe it's less so when the puzzle depicts a scifi movie and not something like a castle or a meadow, but I'd be prepared to tough it out if she was.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Puzzles were a big part of my daily routine when I lived in Molokai. Your mother also worked on the ever present puzzle when she visited.

Frenchie said...

I love jigsaw puzzles. I even have an app which allows me to do do them online!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?