Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Glue Of North Hollywood

I was walking through my neighborhood the other day, which has been a more infrequent occurrence in recent weeks, and I passed by the gateway that marks the southern entrance to North Hollywood. It's a rather large one straddling the main thoroughfare of Lankershim Boulevard. It's painted a very garish shade of green, with highlights of equally unsavory colors. The entire effect makes it look as if it was stolen from a college dormitory complex- one designed by en elderly school president with no real idea of youthful fashions.

Needless to say, it's deeply unpopular around the neighborhood, and it only becomes less liked when people learn of its steep price tag. I believe it costed something in the area of $700,000. It's generally considered to not be worth the price, and it probably isn't, but putting a value on art is a difficult proposition. It's easier to say that the cost exceeds the level of appreciation by those who ultimately can be said to have bought it.

Personally, I don't like the looks of it any more that other people. I do happen to think that it would have a nice steampunk look if it were just painted to look like plain gray steel or corroded metal, but that still wouldn't render the cost to taxpayers acceptable. There are plenty of things they might have done with the money to better serve the neighborhood, including making some bicycle-friendly alterations here and there.

All that aside, I may not like the gateway, but there's some perverse reaction in me to such a severe reaction of dislike for something. I love any movie that gets picketed upon its theatrical release, and I love the sign for the incredible vitriol that it provokes in people. It may not be a terribly positive emotion, but it does manage to bind the neighborhood together just the same. You have to appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?