Sunday, April 21, 2013

Yesterday (Why I'm Slow Today)

As social as I've gotten, which is to say that I've gotten to where I can be fairly social for good stretches, I remain an introspective, socially awkward person who needs a lot of time alone. I remain a homebody, albeit one who can override his natural tendencies sometimes out of an appreciation that normal people leave home and do things. I am more glad than other people when even pleasurable events are over and I can return to the controllable quiet of my home.

Yesterday I found that I was out of the house and occupied all day. I did return home twice for around twenty minutes altogether, but was otherwise out doing things. For me that is somewhat unusual. To briefly recap, I began my day at 7am, and attended most of a Toastmasters contest involving some friends. I had to leave with probably an hour plus remaining in order to make my improv practice. That was just the beginning.

Just minutes after I got home from that, I found I was due to attend a movie watching party meant to coincide with the festivities of "4/20". We at the party did not partake of the drug du jour, but did get rather rowdy anyway while watching some rather regrettable stoner films. That broke up around 10pm, and that's when I ought to have called a halt. Of course I didn't, but what is life without making some mistakes?

From there, it was the birthday party of a friend of a friend. I expressed concern over not knowing people, but I ought to have been worried about the party being a long way from home, lasting all night long and too largely being composed of poker. I don't play poker, and I find the watching of poker miserable. On the plus side, I never ate, drank and caroused in a hair salon, so rest assured that I am counting my blessings.

After a day and night like that (or even of a milder caliber), I always say the same thing that I picked up from my mother as a boy: "Home again, home again, jiggety jig." It's from Mother Goose of course, and it reminds me always to be grateful for each time that I return home safely. All too many people fail in that ambition, and often after less pleasant activities than a lot of frivolous partying. I always try to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?