Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ennui, On Me

Something is really bugging me. I have said how I strive to not let something I disagree with online take up too much of my time. Sometimes I do well with that, but today I don't know that I did. What happened is that a friend was excited by the news that a Robocop statue meant to be erected in Detroit is nearly finished. It has been substantially financed by that odious fundraising site, Kickstarter. Needless to say, I'm not a supporter.

I made my points about how Detroit needs plenty of things more than it needs a statue of a character from a movie that casts the city in a bad light and which was filmed in Dallas anyway. I was answered that the statue would somehow be an example of law and order and that public art is laudable. I disagreed and said no more about the matter, but I kept thinking about it all day long. I'm still thinking about it now, and I can't say I'll have let it go by the time you're reading this.

A psychologist praised my ability to see when I have some kind of mental issue like this, because recognizing it is a critical step towards addressing it. It's the addressing that's the hard part, and I have really not been productive in all the time since this little incident. I remain at least somewhat fixated on and bothered by the notion that good money got spent on a pointless tribute to pop culture. I don't blame anybody for that but myself.

Perhaps I should not be too hard on myself for continuing to dwell on it mentally, for I've certainly made all possible efforts not to, and after all there is only so much that can be done to control one's thoughts. I'm sure not going to go see some hypnotherapist. The feeling will pass, and I can credit myself with having withdrawn from active involvement in any sort of a discussion. Tomorrow is another day, and every day I can try to be less sensitive to the many irritants that are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?