Friday, May 3, 2013

Extolling "Death Proof"

Yesterday, I spoke of my affection for the 50's classic "Executive Suite". Maybe that is only a classic to me, but I'm not about to bend to the feelings of others on this point. There are many films that are like that to me, and many are far more contemporary than that film. Another film which I feel that I must be relatively alone on is Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof". I don't want to have it to myself. I wish everyone loved it, but it is evidently his least loved film.

It was the first film of his that I can think of where he opted to split the film into two self-sufficient stories, and I have not liked it when he has done that since, but in this instance it worked. It was a surprise, being the first time, and I feel the story also warranted it. Perhaps I'm telling something someone reading may not be aware of yet, but the first half of the film concerns a group of women who stumble upon a murderous former stunt driver. The conclusion of that half dispenses with them.

It is tough, naturally, for a film to kill off all its protagonists and move on, but "Death Proof' does it, replacing them with another group of women who reverse the dynamic had by the previous group and the antagonist, who is there for both halves of the film. He, Kurt Russell, is terribly enjoyable, as he has been in so many films before. I just love him, and regard him as one of Tarantino's more enjoyable characters.

I must also say how I enjoy the music of this particular film. Tarantino's films usually have sensational soundtracks. He never (or seldom) commissions original music. Sometimes he does, but either way, the songs are great and I wind up listening to several of them about a hundred times each. I still am very fond of that soundtrack. All in all, for aficionados of music, Tarantino, Russell and practical action stunts, I must recommend "Death Proof".

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?