Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gettin' Up Early? Yup, and I'm Surly!

I don't happen to love getting up early. I know that puts me in the majority, and I don't think it's smart to whine about things that everybody hates like that, but there it is. I do it when I have to, as I did yesterday. I had to be at a Toastmasters contest by 6:30 in the morning, and I found that I would have to leave home before 5 in order to manage that. As is often the case when there's pressure to be up by a certain hour, I slept poorly.

I would guess that I got five or so hours of fitful sleep between the hours of 10 in the evening and 4:20 in the morning. I had meant to get up at 4, but somehow or another I overslept a bit. Worriedly, I looked to see whether that put me in big trouble, but was relieved to find that it didn't. I was glad that I'd had the foresight for once to get my clothes and things ready the night before. Every now and then, I show a little aptitude for organization.

I showered and shaved in record time, thought it easily could have worked out that I left the house with conditioner in my hair or shaving cream on my neck. It's for that reason that I try at all costs to avoid getting up at such an hour that I have to rush like that. I have a troublesome propensity for forgetting things at such a time. Luckily enough, this time I managed to shower, get my suit on and head out in time to catch the bus.

You sometime see a guy in a suit on the train, but seldom is it so for the buses I've been on. Well, I was the guy in a suit on the bus, which got me there in plenty of time. It was a classic case of me worrying and rushing and finding that I arrived a good while before I had to. Indeed, I got there well before anyone else involved in the contest, which I guess made me look good, but which was more good than I'd aspired to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?