Friday, May 17, 2013

Good Night. Good Night!

Last night I was at a burlesque show, and that was a pretty good time. I had not been to any in a while, but about three months ago I had a rare free Thursday night, and the show I attended then rekindled my affection for burlesque. What's not to like, anyway? There's fantastic dancing which really conveys a narrative, there's music, and there's comedy. Often the lines blur, or maybe that's the alcohol, of which I'm also fond.

Yesterday's show really was something. There was pole dancing, there was a comedian (or as some would say of a female comedian, a "comedienne") who I love, and I wound up incorporated in a performance myself. I attribute that to my penchant for dressing up these days. There's a certain quality of sophistication to burlesque that makes my usual grubby clothes seem unacceptable, and so I put on a suit.

What I guess you would call the penultimate performance was a dance number set to "Hey Big Spender". The troupe who did it seems to make a habit of this number, and pulling audience members to be the titular big spenders. I suspect they make a point of identifying well-dressed people who are close to the stage, and I met both conditions on this occasion. It's really something, what you can get out of life by being twenty minutes early in a suit. So it was that I got serenaded.

All around it was a good night, and it didn't come too dearly. In a way I felt like a jerk, dressing up really nicely and spending just a few dollars. The show was free, and so were the first two drinks (thanks to the good people at the sponsoring company Stoli). I was shameless enough after those to order a PBR, but had enough shame to request it in a glass. Someday I'll be a guy who wears suits and drinks like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?