Monday, May 20, 2013

Hadda Have It

I am, as I think people generally are, subject to fits of whimsy. Maybe there are people who aren't, or who manage to resist those impulses, but I am not one of those people. Sometimes I just feel the need for something and I go get it. This happened just a bit ago, when I decided that I really had to watch "The Matrix", and right away. I don't happen to have the movie, which was a bit of an impediment to fulfilling my wish.

My first thought was to see if it could be watched online. Tragically, Netflix does not have it available for streaming. I could have ordered it on disc, but that of course would not have been soon enough. I'm not one of those people for whom a movie doesn't exist if it's not online, but I just could not wait several days. I had to have the movie faster, and I was not into the idea of stooping to unsavory methods.

The next thing that occurred to me was to try my local library. As "The Matrix" came out in the late 90's, I figured it's been out at least long enough to have reached the libraries. My first search did not turn up a copy at my local branch, but I noticed after a moment that I had the results for a VHS copy. I'm fond of VHS, but I was content, even eager, to have a copy on DVD. I found one of those to be more readily available.

I had not showered or properly dressed when this fit of whimsy hit me, and I wish I had. I have a bad habit of not showering before the day takes shape- before it gets harder to tear myself away for a few minutes. Well, I couldn't wait to have my movie, so I threw on some clothes and rushed out unshowered, unshaved, and without my contact lenses in. I was self-conscious about my wild hair and my poor vision (even with my glasses, which are badly out of date), but it was worth it. I got my movie and scratched my itch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?