Friday, May 24, 2013

My Way Is Okay

The way that I think is definitely unusual. I am always quick to agree that it's good for me to be unique, since what I have is marketable, and would therefore be diminished if it was less scarce. Still, I do wish it was a little less scarce, because it can be lonely when no one has the same natural reaction to something. I guess I'll get over it if I make some money off it. Anyway, I had this thing happen that showed again how different I can be.

I was waiting at a security booth for someone to give me a pass onto a studio lot, only there was no one there. I was a bit at a loss as to how I should proceed. It occurred to me that I might go over to where some guards were wrangling a studio audience, but I shied away from the idea of going and making contact away from the managed process I was used to. I stood around looking helpless and examining my phone for a while.

The next obvious thing to do after no one came to my aid was to get my pass the way people who drive do, which is to pass from the garage entrance through to that dedicated security booth. The most natural method of doing that was to get in line behind the last car, since it seemed like it would be rude to try and jump the line by directly approaching the booth to get my pass. The woman manning the booth I had gone to originally then appeared and beckoned me back there.

I don't know how many people would have done what I did. Most people, like I said, probably wouldn't have been afraid to go and proactively seek out someone. I have a way of following the path of least resistance, even when doing so is demonstrably less sensible and, moreover, harder. I have to imagine I would have faced some hassle from the guard processing cars, just as I would have if I'd walked through the drive through of a fast food restaurant. Well, as people have been saying online, "I'll make better mistakes tomorrow".

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?