Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rolling

For the first time in a long time, I went bowling yesterday. As I told someone, I used to bowl a bit during summers when working at Boy Scout camp, as they had a bowling alley in the nearest town. Outside of that, I have seldom had cause to bowl. Certainly I'm not going to do it alone, and friends have not expressed much interest until now. Suffice it to say that I am out of practice, or I was going into the evening I'm describing.

The bowling alley was in what looks from the outside like a barn. It was called the Bowling Barn, and I don't know if it was a renovated barn or a fake. I hope it was the former. When we walked inside, we found it was all lit up with bright colors but otherwise subdued lighting. I feared it was one of those "cosmic bowling" situations where you are supposed to pay more because of the various concessions they've made to youth.

As it worked out, we paid a modest price. Even buying a beer, I came out of it all right. More importantly, I bowled passably well, winning both games I played (albeit with a modest score just under 100 each time). I was happy to have gotten a good fit on the shoes and the ball, the latter of which I fervently defended from others in my party. I'm afraid of having my ball tainted by another, you see.

Perhaps I'll get to bowling a little more in the future. I was told of a fine place for bowling not so very far, and it sounded as if there might be some interest among my friends. I would like to make the improvements in my game that would come merely from practice. I don't suppose a 300 game is to be expected in any case, but 200 could be, and certainly 100 and more could be had just from improving my form a bit. We'll see about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?