Tuesday, May 28, 2013

So, Lad!

As I have said plenty of times, diet is a concern of mine. It may not be one that I act on very forcefully or successfully very much of the time, but the fact that I don't improve much along those lines is no evidence that I lack the interest. I do care, and there are a couple of successes that I've had. I did give up canned ravioli, which may sound like an easy and obvious thing to you, but for me it was not. I also recently have been edging away from hot dogs.

Add to those triumphs a very singular incident born of that universal inspiration, desperate need. Now, I had a few things on hand that didn't quite add up to a sandwich. All that was missing was the bread, really. I had the meat, the cheese, the mustard (in addition to various packets of taco sauce, dressing and hot sauce), the peppers, the lettuce and more. I just couldn't do exactly what I wanted, which was a sandwich.

I went into the kitchen with some vague plan to find "something". I started cutting up my block of cheese into cubes, and decided that I'd add some sliced-up deli meat. Something reminded me of the lettuce in the crisper, and there it was: I could make a salad. I remind you again that while this is undoubtedly an obvious thing to you, this is for me the discovery of fire, and I was enthralled with said discovery.

I added a handful of other things that suddenly fit now that I had a base of lettuce to support them, and suddenly I had too much to be contained by a mere small plate. I transferred it all to a bowl, and suddenly I had a meal. It was akin to a biblical miracle, and it was one which saved me from having to leave the house or made a second meal of spaghetti in one night. A second salad the following day worked as well, and there will surely be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?