Monday, June 10, 2013

Big Announcement

Although I am a big fan of the entertainment that is there to be seen all around us all day long in the form of our fellow humans, there are times even for me that do not seem promising in that regard. I'm always ready to be surprised, though. Take the grocery store. There are aspects of it that are more fun than others. There can be attractive female customers to catch my eye, and there can be little moments of drama in the checkout lane, and there's always the parking lot.

Something that's not ordinarily fun is the public address system. What few announcements there are to be heard are not very interesting, mainly consisting as they do of non-descript directions from one employee to another. Even that can be fun though, like if someone keeps calling for more cashiers but none come, or if the PA says something that you never thought you'd hear and which really stirs the imagination.

I was shopping for some groceries late at night recently when just that thing happened. There I was trying to cobble together a decently healthful set of meals for the week when an announcement began. It advised the person in the store's bathroom- who had taken their groceries in with them- that they had to exit the bathroom with said groceries. Subsequent addressed were aimed at other employees, and I believe they concerned the same matter.

Of course, I was terribly amused. I laughed aloud, and I was a bit put off by the fact that I was the only person to do some. How could I be the only person amused by the idea that someone felt the need to have their un-purchased foods in the bathroom with them (either out of concern that they could be re-stocked by an employee or poached by a fellow customer, or for less savory reasons)? Perhaps it was something that we were all supposed to tastefully ignore. I could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?