Monday, June 3, 2013

Kickoff

This week, I will be rather occupied with the LA Improv Festival, which is a big annual event packed with special performances and workshops related to improv comedy and adjacent forms of entertainment. I would not be so enthused or committed to spending time with the thing, but as an improv team I am a member of was accepted to perform, a variety of privileges have been extended to me, and I mean to take advantage of them.

I have a variety of discounts and freebies coming, but the first thing I got to do was a brunch which took place the day before the festival properly started. Whether or not it could be called a real brunch I don't know. There was a token amount of food in the form of a free "scrambled eggs on hamburger bun" sandwich, with enticements to spend money making it into something more substantial. There were also specials on Bloody Marys and mimosas, so maybe it was a brunch.

The main reason for going was the chance to mingle with other performers, for the event was restricted to them, or at least I think it was. There were a lot of somewhat informal performances by teams scheduled to go later in the week, and there were jams, which is what you call free play performances with anyone who wants to. I went for those, although after a night of carrousing the previous day, I was probably too ragged.

I decided that I don't much like Bloody Marys. Spicy drinks aren't for me, and don't think I haven't tried. Apart from having had Bloody Marys a couple times, I had a beer called "Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer". It's what it sounds like. The mimosas at this brunch were better, and the socializing was definitely worth crawling out of bed, as I expect many events the rest of the week to be. I will probably report on the more notable of them in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?