Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Raison D'etre

Yesterday I wrote of the LA Improv Fest, whose first event I attended Saturday. Hours after my missive appeared online, my team had its performance. It proved to be an eventful one, and an eventful day. I had little to do during the day except write and find someone who could use my comp. A "comp", in case it's not as commonly understood as I think, is a free ticket extended to someone of a performer's choosing. I ought to have gotten to work on doling mine out sooner. At the last minute, it took some effort to deal with, but I did.

At long last, I showered and headed out to the venue, where I quickly came across one of my teammates. He and I waited a couple of minutes before a third person showed up. We piled into her car as she sought parking, which she found by a Jack In The Box. Having eaten nothing that day except an English muffin and coffee, I reasoned that I needed to put something in my stomach before performing, or else I would be in trouble. That I bought two chicken sandwiches was apparently odd and amusing to others. I worried that I had eaten too much, but it proved to not be a concern.

The performance itself went well. My friends showed up to support me, which was very cool. We had a good show, and I can say that I contributed towards a tolerable number of laughs, although I had one or two scenes that I liked less than others. That aside, we had much to be proud of and we left with our heads held high. We of course had not intention of leaving right after our show, though our friends did. For us there was too much to do!

To begin with, there was the green room to which we were extended an invitation for the night. Free drinks (which did not include the bottled water) were a very much appreciated perk, although I wasn't inclined to take them up on that until after the show. After the show, I took them up on that with gusto. I also, with various associates, saw several really terrific shows from other performers, and left late that night very enthused about the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?