Saturday, July 13, 2013

Alone Again

The last couple of days, there has been a lot of chatter online about the latest B movie from the Scifi Channel (or as they now insist on being called, "Syfy"). It's called "Sharknado", and it builds on the increasing success of increasingly absurd monster movies, most of which seem to involve sharks. I had seen one or two, deriving some pleasure from them, but the level of success enjoyed by this one at the outset displeases me.

Attention spans and life cycles of pop culture are so short now. As of this moment, the film is around 48 hours old, and in half that time it was hailed as an incredible enduring success. Interviews have been conducted with its stars and director, and there is talk of a sequel. This is ordinary with a big movie that has hit theaters, but considering there was no buzz about the film much in advance of its television premiere, I feel as if people are moving a little fast.

There is something additional that bothers me about "Sharknado". I'm very fond of movies that are bad or cheesy in some respect. There is one thing that is very important to me. It is impossible to enjoy a film if its makers were not doing their honest best to make a good film, or if the film and its makers are self-aware from the start. That is the case with this film in my opinion. It was designed from the beginning to be ridiculous and bad, and that spoils it for me.

Once again I seem to be alone in these viewpoints. I take no interest in the film except to make the above arguments, and many that I know loved the film and are buzzing about it as if it were a hot new episode of "Mad Men". I just can't get into it like that, although if it were removed from people's reaction to it, I very well might like it all right. It's usually the way other people take something that dooms it for me. Exclusively on their own merits, with no anticipation or expectation, a high percentage of movies register as successes with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?