Sunday, July 28, 2013

Film In The Yard

A film I hadn't seen in years was "Aliens". It and the others of the series (by which I really mean the first three) are favorites of mine. It was particularly Aliens that I was very fond of and which I watched many times, although I felt a special affection for the less loved Alien 3 and a conventional love for the original. The fourth did not ever grow on me, and I have incredibly enough gotten some pushback on that.

Yesterday the opportunity to watch the second arose, and not just to watch it as I ever have on a TV, but to watch it outdoors projected onto a big screen. A friend was having his birthday party, and he does it bigger than I ever have, renting the equipment to do what I've described and also supplying ample food and drink. He had done the same thing last year, I seem to recall. He is, needless to say, a popular guy.

I had a few drinks in advance of the film, with no more catastrophic effect than that I had to go to the bathroom for most of the film's runtime. Perhaps eating as much as I did was a big help. I wish I'd mixed more water into my drinking rotation, but I was more than sharp enough to enjoy the film and the company in which I watched it. It certainly lived up to my memory, and was better for the fact that it was not taped off the TV as my longtime VHS copy was.

I'd like to say this is something I would do myself, but it really isn't my style. It's my style to enjoy it in this manner, but the words "rent a projector and screen' would simply never occur to me. I may yet grow and change, particularly in a financial sense, which is really the big stumbling block. The only thing that remains after that is resolved is what film to screen and what snacks to supply. Those decisions will occupy a few years, so I'd better start thinking about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?