Sunday, August 4, 2013

Few Will Win

Yesterday I wrote of submitting jokes to a local news-based comedy show. They do sketches and a Weekend Update-like segment, and I contributed around 35 or so jokes based on news articles that emerged over the last week. With such a high volume of candidates, I had high hopes that at least one of them would be elected, and so I was happy but not entirely surprised that one of those jokes (a high proportion of which I thought were very strong) made it in.

Indeed, I could conceivably have gotten more than one in, as I figured there to be room in the show for something close to twenty such jokes, and it appeared that no more than half a dozen people had jokes accepted. With those numbers, I could hope for two or more, which would be very cool. If I don't get more in than others, I could conceivably scale back the number of jokes I send in, considering that people who submitted fewer than five also got in.

I could also still have none actually make it to the show, the preparation of such shows being what it is. Right up until the last moment, there is shuffling, rewriting and adjusting to account for extra time needed in certain areas of the program. It could easily be the case that though they thought they could have twenty jokes, they wind up needing just 18, and whatever of mine was good enough for twenty gets left out.

I'll just have to wait until the show tonight to see just how it shakes out. It seems that I get to attend for free, which is fair. I will be awfully excited to see just what they did take, since I don't know yet. I'll be  interested also to see what of other people's made it. That will help me see what I can do to improve in future weeks. Thirdly, and perhaps most significantly, I will be glad for the chance to meet the other people involved in the show. It should be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?