Friday, August 16, 2013

Headway

I am presently about half-way through "Wuthering Heights." I believe I said a while back that I was reading it. Well, I have been at it for a while. There was the interruption to read that book about ballet, and the rest of the time it has been slow going. Bronte wrote in rather flowery, now-antiquated language, and it takes me a while to wade through it. Moreover, the story has failed to keep me coming back consistently.

I have managed to read it at least once a week, when I head to my improv class on the train and connecting bus. I have been even more motivated to read with my headphones beginning to falter so badly that I don't have the patience to use them. That being the case, I don't have my music and podcasts when I leave home, so it's the book more often than usual. I have, then, been making fair progress.

I was having a hard time following the story, but finally I have hit a patch that makes itself understood to me a little bit better. So long as I know what's going on, I have a great deal more interest in seeing what happens next. I won't say just what has happened or what might, as some people probably haven't gotten to Wuthering Heights yet, and I don't desire to ruin it. Suffice it to say that I'm decently engaged at the moment.

It may not be so very long before I'm done at this rate. I will soon have to settle on my next book, and I think I will seek out something easier than I have been slogging through this time. I'm interested in reading one of the great political campaign books, or something from Hunter S. Thompson. Perhaps I'll read one of his on the aforementioned subject, but I won't decide until I'm about through with this one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?