Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mr. Submitter

This week I have been doing something a little new in my writing. I have for maybe three and a half years been writing this blog. I've been aggressively writing on Twitter for less time than that. Maybe it's been a year. Somewhere in between those two is when I started writing comedy sketches, although I am at a low point on that. Maybe something has to fall out for all that has been added, which I'm sorry for.

I have started to do something new. I had submitted some samples of topical sketches to a local sketch show that specializes in that area. Of course, I really don't do that so much. I've always been reluctant to expend effort writing something that has to go out right away during a brief window of opportunity, after which the thing is entirely useless. I have favored things that last forever, which hasn't been entirely good. Knowing that something can wait, I always will make it do so.

Since I had nothing ready to go of a topical nature, I wrote three, and maybe they weren't incredibly strong. They were not enough to get me on the writing staff of the show, and so I was disappointed, but I was glad that the email telling me of this also advised that I could submit brief jokes for the same show if I wanted. Maybe I can stand to improve at writing sketches, but I'm pretty good at coming up with two line jokes, if I may say so.

I've written more than thirty since monday, which by my estimation is around ten or twelve more than the show will use at all. Of course, numerous others are also submitting jokes, and so it is a classic case of many entering and few winning. I have read all that have been submitted so far, and while there are plenty of good ones from others, I feel encouraged that many of mine own are among the best. Something I'm used to is factors other than merit deciding the outcome of such a thing, but if merit is involved, I'm sure that I have an excellent chance of getting some in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?