Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tapes Aplenty

I described already how on Sunday I had my fantasy football draft. Well, there was plenty more facing me that day. The next significant thing which came my way was a trip to Amoeba Records, which is a mecca for lovers of music (especially vinyl records) and of film, including VHS tapes. I happen to be really into those, and have amassed a collection of 124 tapes that mostly occupy an obscure area of the broader range of film, as I believe I've made plain.

A friend advised me that he'd spotted a copy of "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" (which is notable for a number of reasons, among them being the fact that the adventure began but never continued). Of course I had to go and acquire it, because that was one delightful film. I'm sure I don't have to say more than that attack dogs climb a ladder. It came dearer than I would have liked, but five dollars is not so bad really.

Of course I looked around some more, finding several other films that appealed to me. One, entitled "Death Machine" had both a lurid title and intriguing artwork to match: The bloody claw of a robot rising from some kind of watery surface. I could not refuse that any more than I could refuse a movie featuring Adrienne Barbeau and the prospect of Bram Stoker appearing as a character in a horror film that does not contain Dracula. That would be "Burial Of The Rats".

Last (but garnering the most interest online) was "Cyclone". The title conveys little. It sounds like a rip-off of Twister, or it could be about a roller coaster. Instead, it's some kind of action movie about a woman who has a super high-powered motorcycle armed with incredible weapons. The vague outlines that I know of the plot as well as the rather suggestive cover art tell me I'll like it, but the fact that I easily might not like any of them is part of the appeal.

I took these items to check out, and I found myself with a pretty awesome cashier. That's about all Amoeba has. She was awfully pretty, and showed uncommon interest in my selections. Like I said though, uncommon is how you'd describe all the people there, and anyway people in such a line of work are well advised to be so nice and engaged with customers. I ought to have seen whether I could parlay the exchange into anything more, but I was nervous and preoccupied with the sketch show where I was to see what jokes of mine (if any) had been chosen and subsequently survived to showtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?