Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Carpet Again

It is awfully nice to have a nice, clean carpet. Carpets do feel good on the bare feet, but not if it starts to get dirty. I have some bad habits, and the carpet in my bedroom gets dirty due to my way of eating in there a lot. I've never spilled something catastrophic, but crumbs are always coming down on the carpet no matter what you do. I really should make an effort to eat in the living room (which is the best option in the absence of a functioning dining room), but that is a work in progress.

Compounding the problem of crumbs on the carpet, (in addition to feathers from my terrible pillow and other things) I am always very slow to vacuum. In fact, for a long time we in my apartment lacked one entirely, but even having one I have been bad about using it.There it will be by the common closet, and there will be bits of cheese crackers on my floor drawing the insects that presumably draw the spiders, and I often do nothing about it.

Finally there will come the day when I can stomach the feeling of spilled items under foot no more. While doing it, I find myself wondering what kept me from doing it, because it's not such an onerous task. Many things are like that in that you are the most disinclined to do them before you start doing them. When I'm actually moving things around and vacuuming, I'm stunned to find it's practically a pleasant activity.

As I write this, my carpet is pristine. Will this be the time, finally, that I establish good habits that keep my carpet nice for longer? Will the inevitable cycle of entropy that leads the carpet to get dirty again anyway find me ready to grab the vacuum cleaner and get busy instead of delaying it indefinitely for no good reason? Answers to these questions may be of interest to me only, but they will come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?