Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Don Quixote

Yesterday was not a very happy message, I have to admit. I believe in being positive, but that's just not always there. Being genuine is as important as being positive, and it may be more so. Today is not going to be any better than yesterday, but I really hope tomorrow is. Anyway, my mind is on something that happened at the start of the weekend. I'd had a little bourbon, and that was almost certainly a contributing factor to what follows here.

I was online admiring some of the finds on a Facebook group dedicated to the collecting of VHS specifically in the horror genre. Not everybody is completely faithful to those parameters, and so someone posted a picture of a vinyl record they found at a Goodwill. The guy explained that it was priced at 25 dollars, but that he peeled off the price sticker and managed to pay only a dollar. I was offended.

I called the guy on what I thought was a lousy thing to do. I pointed out that it was a non-profit serving charity and that if he didn't like their prices he should shop someplace else. I pointed out the ridiculousness of being mad at them for charging what the market would bear. None of that meant anything to him or anyone else who spoke up at first (though there was eventually some support for my point of view). It was a lot of talk about being clever and putting one over on the man. They would not be convinced that it was stealing from a charity, but why did I think they could be?

I knew better from the start than to engage him and the rest. I knew I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of the situation. I never do. The exercise served only to make me mad and take away some of my time. It did serve to show me who they were, and I resolved to have nothing further to do with them. It also served as a refresher of my resolution to not involve myself in things which I can't hope to impact. This is one of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?