Thursday, September 5, 2013

Justice For All

I saw something that first angered me and then pleased me very much yesterday. It was on the subway, as you might reasonably guess, and it came right after something that just plain made me angry. The trains were running on a less frequent schedule yesterday evening, and I had no warning. I even checked the Twitter feed to see, and it said nothing of the kind, so I wound up being late to meet someone for an improv show we were doing.

It was with the anger of being late and the anxiousness of going on stage soon that I took in something awfully annoying. There was this guy on a bicycle coming off the same train as me, and that doesn't bother me. I have a bike, I like riding it and I am fine with the good bike riders. This guy, however, thought it was a good idea to ride his bike through the station. After ascending to the second level from the platform, he was riding his bike the very short distance to the escalator which led to the street level.

This guy was not a good bike rider. I was so angry to see him zipping by the rest of us and peeling around the corner. I kept walking, trying to cool myself down so I could go do this improv show. What should I see when I turn the corner as well, you might wonder, but the same guy now standing beside his bicycle answering questions being put to him by a pair of cops? He might have guessed, this guy, that cops just might be around the Hollywood and Vine subway station.

I smiled broadly at that as I went on my way. It's rare that you see justice done just as soon as you see injustice done. I'd seen that once before in the same area when a car blazed along well above the speed limit only to be pulled over by a cop moments later. This was as nice a feeling as that was, and I like to think that I took that positive energy into the performance. I wish something like that could happen every time I had a show about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?