Friday, October 11, 2013

Film Attitude

If you've read the brief reviews of movies that I've sometimes posted here, then you've noticed that many of the movies I go for are rather off the beaten track. Many people- maybe most people- would call them terrible. Seeing many of the movies I have on VHS, one friend inquired when there would be a "shitty movie night". I advised him that there would be no such night, since all of my movies rule. That's my attitude.

It's a weird thing to me when someone says they're into watching terrible movies, or that they watch any sort of movies ironically. It sounds like a real waste of time, watching movies that you think are bad. Every movie I watch is chosen because I expect to like it. At the very least, I make a good faith effort to like them all, and that's often enough how it comes out. I can see a movie's shortcomings as well as anyone, but I don't have a hostile attitude.

Plenty of people do. I was reading some online accounts of "Abraxas, Guardian Of The Universe". I believe I contributed one of my own here. It was cheaply made and it was the end product of some puzzling creative choices, but I loved it. I enthusiastically recommended it. I assumed that other people who watched it would share my affection, but I found people whose agenda seemed to be one of harsh, mean-spirited criticism.

Perhaps they saw themselves as lampooning it in the way that Mystery Science Theater 3000 would, but I don't see it that way. I think that program came from a place of love (and I know I do). Anyone who comes from a place of dislike should spend their time watching something else. I know I would. I love the movies that other people call cheesy. I more often hate the movies that other people say they love, and so I mostly give those a pass and keep my opinions to myself if I see one I didn't care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?