Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sandwich Entre

A couple of days ago I had an improv performance. My team, composed of students from a level four (out of 5) workshop, was to cap off a show of performances from level 1 and 2 workshops, so there was a rare feeling of being the big guys. Usually moving from a smaller pond to a larger one only serves to grant you a view of one that is larger still, but for this night we were able only to look back to the ones behind us.

In any event, it's not the show that concerns me at the moment. I had eaten very little on the day of the show. I think I had a cup of tea and english muffins. I reasoned that I should eat something before performing, and so I picked something up on the way. I had decided to walk to the show, which was maybe a mile and a half away. Taking the bus would have saved me perhaps five minutes, and it would not be unheard of for a bus to be over five minutes late.

Before heading off to the show, I bought a ham sandwich at the grocery store. That's something I shouldn't do. I should either buy the materials to make the sandwich at a significantly cheaper price, or I should just go to a regular fast food place. Anyway, I bought the ham sandwich, and walked with it over to the show. This took twenty to thirty minutes, and I was dismayed to see that people I knew were already there.

Maybe that sounds odd to you, but if it does then you must be a new reader, and I'm glad to have you. I was hoping for some solitude to eat my sandwich and read my book, but instead I had to be sociable, which is not ideal before a show on a day when you're already tired and hungry. For much of the time before the show, I found myself eating in front of the building and greeting people as they approached looking for the venue. Maybe that was a good thing before performing. It's something I need to improve at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?