Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Return?

I was thinking the other day of my high school. This was even before I saw that they were set to compete in the state football championship, but that did intensify my thought. I was thinking about how I spent my time there and what my lingering feelings about the place are. It has been some twelve years since my terrified graduating night (when I sat in my cap and gown all evening full of fear that I lacked the credits to walk).

High school was a difficult time obviously, as it is for most people. I suspect it is not as happy a time as it seems even for those seemingly blessed people who later might regard the time as the best in their lives, but I was not one of those people. I knew and was close to few people then. It is for that reason that I doubt I would have much interest in attending a reunion. I have never received notice of one, but as we still receive mail at the address where I then lived, I'm sure I will when the time comes. Is it ten years, or fifteen?

Some people would want to go to the reunion to vindicate themselves- to make a point to the people who persecuted them or who ignored them. That would not be much of a reason for me. There are few people from school who I liked or disliked. There is no one especially who I would care enough to prove anything to. I don't even remember a whole lot of names from that time. A reunion would probably be very boring.

There are people who I remember with some fondness. There are a couple friends and a couple teachers who I would like to see. I would like to think that they would remember me and wish to see me as well. Maybe that would be adequate reason to go, if I felt very sure they would be there, and if it was not going to prove too much trouble for me to get over there. We will see how I feel when the time comes (and if it does).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?