Sunday, November 17, 2013

Spy The Sky


As I write this, it's a bit overcast outside. The blue sky is sneaking through in a few spots in the hour or so before the sun sets, but it's more or less a gloomy day, or what passes for one in Los Angeles. It seems like it's been forever since it rained. It very seldom does here, of course, not that you'd guess it from the way people choose to use their water around here. It's like back home in Arizona, but worse. You get a lot of people from the midwest and back east who think a green lawn is their birthright.

I'm often reminded of back home when I pass by someplace where somebody's laid down a lot of manure to fertilize the grass. They say that smells are the most powerful trigger of memories, which may be true. I instantly am reminded our our manure laden, irrigated lawn. It was fun to play in- the foot or two of water irrigating the yard, not the manure. You had to stay away from that of course, which was easy.

I do wish it would rain. We're probably due for a week of unceasing rain that constitutes a civic crisis. In a way it's good to get it out of the way in one fell swoop instead of suffering a whole lot of drizzly days that threaten to become more but never do. It's frustrating, being held hostage by uncertain weather. You feel sure you know what's up, but you have to respect the possibility of the worst happening.

Being out in the rain is tough, and I'm about as vulnerable as anyone, having to walk a lot. The streets here aren't made for rain, and one must bypass intersection after intersection before finding a place to cross the street. Many of them are hopelessly flooded after the sewer has received all the rain it can take. The possessions I have on my person are also subject to being doused, and so there is ample reason for me to feel conflicted, but I wish it would rain anyway. It is always true to say that we sure could use it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?