Sunday, December 8, 2013

Fire!

Yesterday I alluded to a Yule log video. I'll address that today. In the days after Thanksgiving, I started getting into the Christmas spirit. You may well wonder why I wasn't there in early November. I guess I'm not one of those types. I'm there now, anyway. I listen to Christmas music whenever it is reasonable, and I also do enjoy a good Yule log fire. I can't have a fire here at my place, regrettably, but there is Youtube.

The other day I decided I wanted to watch a Yule log video for the first time this Christmas season. I looked around a bit online, and went with the first one that looked very good from the thumbnail. It was a little under an hour long, which I figured was plenty long enough. I set up some seasonal tunes to go with it, and we were off to the races. It was a fairly standard fire in a plain-looking fireplace. I don't know if they get flashier than that, but I wouldn't want that anyway.

It was all normal for a while, but after fifteen or twenty minutes, something happened. A pair of hands reached in to stoke the fire and add some logs. This honestly blew mind mind, and that of a roommate also watching. I swore aloud, and there was delight all around. I really never imagined that happening in a Yule log video, so it was tremendously exciting to see it happen. There are seldom surprises like that in life anymore.

I suppose that such videos usually are on a short loop which removes the necessity of ever tending to the fire. This one was the real deal, with no editing trickery. I later read the comments for the video (wondering if there would be any mean, critical ones that are so prevalent) and found that someone had posted the timestamps for when the fire got stoked. I'm glad I didn't read that first, because it wouldn't have been as interesting. As it was, it was pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?