Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Inane Weather Chatter

It has recently been a bit cold in Los Angeles, and so other cities more accustomed to consistently cold weather are vigorously ridiculing Angelenos for overreacting. It's a curious thing to do. Would a penguin be within his rights to ridicule a camel for feeling cold just because the penguin's threshold is so different? It's no concern of mine how people handle the weather where they are. In any event, it is a bit cold (getting down into the 30s overnight), and I don't mind owning up to being cold enough to need a heavy jacket.

I do enjoy the cold weather, affording me as it does the chance to wear some of those jackets and coats. I'm of the opinion that I look pretty good in them, which I hope can't be taken to mean that I have such a hideous form that it is best hidden under a pile of clothing. from my light jacket to my heavy peacoat, I just happen to fill out an outer garment fairly well. If there's an exception, it might be sweatshirts and the like. They are a bit baggy for my taste.

To a point, there is novelty in cold weather beyond what clothes it justifies. The feel of cold air is very bracing. If I am a little foggy-minded in the morning or under the influence in the evening, stepping outside has the effect of shocking me into somewhat more acceptable shape. Additionally, to see my breath is just kind of fun. It's regrettable that here it will never (or at least seldom) get cold enough to have snow or sheets of ice around. They're dangerous at times, but stimulating.

I understand that warmer weather is due once again, which is too bad. It probably will not signal the end of cold weather, but it is unfortunate that the cold should be interrupted at times. I like the weather to be such that you know just what to wear and how else to conduct yourself based on what month it is. Who needs conditions to change so often that it requires special consideration every day? I certainly don't. My endeavors will probably suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?