Sunday, December 15, 2013

More On "Friday The 13th Part 5"

As I said yesterday, I watched "Friday The 13th Part 5" recently (among other entries in the series). Although I am fond of them all, very few of them (if any) are incredibly strong. They all have egregious flaws, but I love them anyway. I can see both sides of them. It depends on my mood. There are horror films where it doesn't matter what mood I'm in. Those are just good movies. With this one, I have to be in the right mood to love it.

One of the things that's sort of funny about it is the movie that some of the halfway house residents (if that's what they are) are watching nearer the end of the movie. I'm not sure of what movie it was, but it was a very old movie. This is now the mid 80s, and yet they are watching this old black and white movie. That in itself is not so crazy. I watch movies like that all the time. I pretty much always have. I'm just not like these kids in the movie.

I would guess them to be into more contemporary stuff. Part 5 came out in 1985. Certainly movies being broadcast on free television would not be that new. At the very least, I would guess the movies on TV to be several years older than that- even as old as the one they actually do watch. That just didn't seem like one that would actually hold their attention. I'd figure them to find something else to watch or something else to do. They just don't.

Of course there are considerations. We're not talking about a high production value movie where they can license something like "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", which is a movie I can imagine teens being interested in watching. Probably they were limited to things in the public domain. Or were they? It's "A Place In The Sun" they were watching. It was a pretty heavy duty movie. It may have come out in 1951, but it starred Montgomery Clift and Elisabeth Taylor.

Maybe they did pay to use it. Maybe they had some reason why they really wanted it. I can't imagine what that would be. Whatever it would be, I'd be inclined to say they were wrong. Sure, maybe there's a minority of teens who would be into it, and the girl we see watching strikes me as someone more likely than the boy, would would naturally sit there watching a blank screen to be near her. Still, I don't see it. What do I know, though? People don't care what the teens are watching on TV. They just want to see them have sex and then get killed. Fair enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?