Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Gift Of Patience

I recently received a typewriter for my birthday. I had expressed an interest in having one recently, eager as I was to adopt the tools of writing idols in hopes that I might be influenced in content. The typewriter is a "Generation 3000" manual typewriter, and seemingly a fine model for someone who's never really used one before, not that I know much about it all. I knew what a Smith Corona was, and beyond that I didn't really know anything.

A day or so after I got the thing home, I was anxious to try it out. I took it out of its bag, moved my laptop to set it on the desk, and got out some blank sheets of paper. I keenly felt my ignorance as I struggled to so much as load the paper into the machine. I managed after a fashion to get it in there and type a little, at which point I ascertained that the ribbon was perhaps a little past its prime. I resolved to buy a fresh one where and when I could.

I still had more to figure out besides, with the main thing being how to operate the carriage return properly. After typing from one end of the page to the other, you have to get back to the lefthand side and down one line, which I didn't have any clue about. Consulting diagrams led to the discovery of the lever on the left side of the carriage which is dedicated to that purpose. You can single space, half space and double space. I don't have it all worked out, but I basically have that figured out now.

The next challenge is the "M" key. So far it appears to be the only faulty key in the bunch. I noticed how it kept sticking. Bringing the key out halfway, I noticed that it did not seem to be aligned properly, and an examination of my efforts on the page showed that everywhere an M appeared, it was severely tilted. I contemplated manhandling the key into its proper place, but reasoned that I'm not the guy for the job. Finding someone who knows how that kind of thing would be handled is the next step of the adventure. I feel sure it will be an enjoyable journey to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?