Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pointless Lament

I would like to tell you how things went last night for my big birthday night, but I anticipated in advance that I would be in no shape to write something right now. In all probability, I am hastily trying to recover in time for my plans for this evening. Maybe tomorrow I'll talk about last night, which would push any account of tonight to two days from now. Anyway, let's not sully this time with take of schedules and maybes. Let's "live in the now".

It gets harder to see my friends all the time. This is something I may have written something about before, but it's an ongoing thing. Some friends are constantly busy with performances. The only way to see them, and this is not so new, is is to be there for their performance either as a spectator or as a fellow performer. It is a powerful career motivator to know that you must stay busy working on your "craft" or else not see your friends. The alternative is to spend all your discretionary income on their shows.

More and more friends are moving someplace where they can afford more space, whether it is as a purchase or a rental. It can be difficult to get out to some of these places and then get back home at a reasonable hour, so I find myself sometimes doing what I hadn't done much of since I was a child, and that is spending the night with friends. It's great until bedtime, of course, but then they say goodnight and then I am left making a little ad-hoc bedroom out of the living room.

I suppose I oughtn't complain. Being in my early 30's now, this is a natural enough state of affairs that everyone deals with, and all too soon I'll get to the point where I can't see my friends either because most of them are dead or because I am dead. Bearing that in mind, it becomes much easier to work full speed at making the most of what there is for me now. I just wish I could do it with the body and the total state of encumbrance that there is in one's early 20's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?