Thursday, January 2, 2014

Revisionist Film History

Something I wondered about "Tango & Cash" today is what would have happened if they had gone to the minimum security prison they were supposed to instead of the nightmarish facility they are sent to. As many times as I've watched the movie, it's hard for me to understand how you could not just railroad the two cops, but also see to it that they go to a prison that is not the one they are supposed to under the publicly disseminated terms of a plea deal.

Whether I get it or not, that's what happens. Being sent to a dangerous prison is a more dramatic development and heightens the urgency of getting out, clearing their names and busting the villain Perret, and I might well wonder what would have been if they had not been framed at all or if there was no Perret, but I do still wonder what might have been if they wound up in the minimum security prison they were supposed to.

The first thing that occurred to me is that maybe they just do their time, considering the risk of meeting foul play would be lesser in a "country club prison". Then again, being less at risk of harm from fellow inmates wouldn't mean they were less at risk of harm from Perret, who really would have an even easier time getting at them there. It would be more suspicious for them to be killed among a lot of white collar criminals, but how much trouble would come to Perret on account of their deaths no matter what?

A positive consequence of the imagined change would be the prospect of a romantic interest for Stallone's character Ray Tango. I can picture some nurse, secretary or somebody else working at a minimum security prison who could become convinced of his innocence, take a fancy to him, and aid in his escape. This strikes me as an appealing alternative to Warden Matt, who I like, but who I like less than a theoretically possible supporting appearance by, let's say, Mia Sara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?