Saturday, January 18, 2014

Yet Another Lesson

There are many things that you do poorly, get a lesson about, and then continue to do poorly. It sometimes takes many lessons, and sometimes no number of lessons is enough. I have struggled to learn about eating properly. There have been a lot of lessons that ought to have set me straight, stretching back plenty of years. The lessons keep getting more severe, which is the nature of these things.

When I was a teenager, I could eat anything. There was then no evidence of my vulnerability. Not long after that, there started to be foods that actually staggered me. More than once I ate something like a Jack In The Box meal, quickly feeling sick to my stomach afterwards. Why would I ever have done that a second time? The memory of faintly enjoying the food should never have been adequate to compensate for the nausea that always accompanied it.

To this very day I manage to forget how horrible I felt every other time I ate something like that. As I write this, my beleaguered constitution is wrestling with a Carl's Jr meal that I didn't even manage to finish. I ought to have known better. Indeed, I did know better and made a conscious decision to ignore the cries of alarm from within. Only when it was too late to entirely prevent the crisis did I finally heed the call.

At long last, I've got to follow through on the thing I always knew: that I would have to start eating right the moment my metabolism could not just take it all in stride. Maybe I don't have to clean up all the way, but here at last I must swear off the foods that are plainly lethal. I really don't think my life will be any the worse for doing without something like this stomach grenade from Carl's Jr, and I'm eager to find out for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?