Monday, February 3, 2014

Aftermath

Yesterday, in the course of describing the Super Bowl party I was to attend, I also mentioned the comedy sketch I'd written that was to be staged that evening at iO West in Hollywood. I was optimistic about its prospects for success, and somewhat fixated on the practical consideration of acquiring some props for it. I was giddy about being at least temporarily in the number of those hardy professionals who write and act in the show weekly.

The show is now over, and my sketch has come and gone. Tomorrow, the video of it will be made available, but for now it lives only in my memory, as do my impressions. The idea of the sketch was about the one member of the president's cabinet who each year must skip the State of the Union speech as a precaution in case tragedy were to strike and wipe out the federal government wholesale. I imagined that person might feel left out, and I related the whole thing to being an unpopular high schooler.

I think that it was a success, if not a really rousing one. Honestly, the relatively low attendance makes it hard to gauge. People seemed to respond to the performers, and I felt glad again that my sketch had drawn the two of them. Other actors, in retrospect, would also have been good, but the ones in mine were good enough. Not every bit of the sketch worked exactly, but much of it did. I am content with it, at the very least.

The moderate success of the sketch leaves me very eager to see another of my sketches presented. I don't know when that will happen again with "Top Story Weekly", which did this one. I had been submitting two line jokes to them since late summer and in that time this was the first chance for an outsider like me to do a sketch. I will have to be aggressive if I am to have one of my sketches up again soon. That will be good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?