Tuesday, February 11, 2014

An Actor Deserving

I'm fond of the actor Neal McDonough. I believe, of course, that I saw him first in the HBO miniseries "Band Of Brothers", where he played one of the more memorable characters. I regretted not seeing more of him, but then there was an enormous ensemble of mostly very good actors who demanded attention of their own. It was, I though, a fine launching point for McDonough, who surely was off to bigger things.

That has not really come to fruition in the years since then. It's not clear to me why not. He has worked a ton, but often in projects unworthy of him. The best thing he's had was probably his bit part in "Captain America". He also played a villain in the "Walking Tall" remake. He has not had anything like the starring role in a prominent film that he deserves. It may not be too late for him, but if he couldn't get it off Band Of Brothers, then I don't know.

It's really a shame. He has a quality reminiscent of Ray Liotta, who himself has done some terrible movies, but who always will be remembered for "Goodfellas", among other things. McDonough has that potent toughness and ferocity. That's not as common as you would think when you're talking about a natural, unforced kind. His toughness is like the most pristine, unspoiled drinking water, straight from the source. It needs no treatment.

McDonough has more than that, of course. Given the opportunity, I think he could be an extremely compelling performer. He had a great commercial for Cadillac in the Super Bowl. It's a minute long spot that he carries the whole way with nothing more than the words and the force of his personality. It's not flashy or fast. There aren't gimmicks to it. It's just him giving a very measured performance as the kind of competent, strong human being that so many of us would like to be.

I really hope he gets what he deserves in his career. I have his name filed away as one that, if I ever had the chance to cast in something, I absolutely would. For one of my dream projects, why not a dream actor? Of course, Neal McDonough will make his way one way or the other without my help, and that's fine by me. I'm just glad for the chance to watch it play out. If the day comes that he really gets his chance, it should be a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?