Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hot Air, I Swear

It would be pretty neat to ride on a blimp. This is one of those fantasies about life in the past that I concede may not be as great as it seems, but I do think I'd like it. This is especially so if we're talking about the era before plane travel really got going. I gather that there was a time when planes were just too rough, and dirigibles were as smooth as could be. They didn't go too fast, but they were pretty steady in the air.

I always think about the way it seemed aboard the zeppelin in "Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade". It just seemed like a big floating lounge, with people drinking, eating and reading newspapers. Everyone was dressed very elegantly, and of course there was a lot of action between Indy, his father and the Nazis. Somehow that just manages to make it all seem even better. I definitely wish I were on board for that.

I would not like to have been on the Hindenberg, which provides some explanation for why I can't really be on a lighter than air craft at all now. That tragedy put a damper on the whole thing, whether it was entirely justified or not. People can't be faulted for being gunshy after that, and planes improved to the point that there was no sense in chancing it on a dirigible. It's too bad. Imagine being on one moored to the top of the Empire State Building today, as was originally intended.

Maybe I'll never have just the experience I'd like, but I can say I was on a hot air balloon once. I at least think I can say that. I recall as a boy there being a hot air balloon held close to the ground. Other kids and I were allowed to get on board with little risk of harm. I don't remember really what it was like, and the memory is so hazy I am hardly sure I even did do it. I think I did. I imagine it was pretty great, so I hope I get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?