Thursday, March 27, 2014

Just Got It

This will not make me sound great. It won't make me sound bad, but it won't cast me in the light I'd like either. Still, I'm no longer very interested in disguising my character the way I used to be. Now, you'll recall maybe that I was very excited over the new "Pretty Reckless" album, and the song "Heaven Knows" in particular. I was listening to that song like crazy, but it was like so many of my infatuations with songs: intense and short-lived.

That's not to say that I don't still love the song, because I do. It just happened to have the bad luck of coming just before another song that seized me with equal vigor, pushing it to the back burner. That other song is likely to be a surprise, and maybe for multiple reasons. It's "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. This is not a new song. It came out something like nine years ago, and while I had heard plenty about it in all that time, I never listened to it. I don't know how that happened.

Finally a couple days ago I decided to buckle down and play the song. I don't remember anymore why, but I had my reasons. I think I came across some quotation of the lyrics, and listening to the song seemed like a natural thing to do. I don't know what I thought the song would be, but it was different from my imagination. The video checked out pretty well, but somehow I pictured a "bigger" song. The actual song is light and peppy. I liked it.

I'm not sure how many times I've listened to it since then, but it is a lot. I feel a little badly, because almost no one is more annoying than the person who discovers a song years after its heyday and then reacts to it as everyone did back then instead of being cool about it. My roommates and neighbors could have reason to be displeased with me. Oh well. The pleasure of listening to the song leaves me feeling not very guilty. Still, I should get better about trying out current music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?