Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Second Stab

By now I think I should be back in LA, but I am undoubtedly quite tired and in need of lengthy recuperation. In anticipation of that, I wrote one more post to last until I am properly rested. It has nothing really to do with Jamaica. You see, I've been reading "Atlas Shrugged". Years ago I made the attempt to read it, but gave up after a few chapters. It is famously long and is regarded by many as a difficult read. I found it so then.

I always meant to come back to it, though I thought that maybe it was a book I would have to buy instead of checking it out of the library. Recently though, I came across it at the library and took the plunge. I reasoned that if I couldn't get through it in the nine weeks I was allowed to have it out, I would just have to buy it, check it out again, or read it online (where it's available in its entirety). It seemed a reasonable plan.

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm making good progress. I think I am something near halfway through the time I can have the book, and if I'm not quite halfway through the book, I'm at least close to it. In any case, I'm in that midpoint where I no longer have the zeal of the converted and have not yet the burst of energy and eagerness that comes from knowing I'm reaching the stretch run. When I hit that, I think that will get me to the end.

Really it's not that hard a book to read. It's as long as they say, but most of it is not too dense. I honestly enjoy the story and root for the characters. There's a lot in Rand's message that I can support, though there is some that I cannot. I also admit that the book does become a little hard to read during the times when the narrative gives over entirely to the political message. I know the end of the book will be a lot of that, but I'm very confident that this time around I will get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?