Sunday, April 6, 2014

Failure To Read!

I did something yesterday that I usually don't. You see, I've been reading "Atlas Shrugged" for the last nine weeks. I had tried to read it years ago, but failed to get very far. It's a long book, and at times an especially difficult one to read. Much of it I enjoy a great deal, and I see something even in its philosophy (though I wouldn't myself go as far as Rand). Still, there are those tough stretches, and it's VERY long, so I just couldn't finish it in the amount of time the library permits.

I knew yesterday I would have to return it, but I expected I'd be able to check it out again. I don't think I was thinking very clearly, though. I brought the book to the library and looked around for a copy already there. I didn't find one. They had the audiobook version, so I took that thinking it might be neat to listen to while waiting to get a book copy. I remarked to the desk clerk that some books can be finished in the amount of time the library allows and some cant. She agreed, saying "depending on the number of pages". She's a real bright one.

I was disappointed later to read that the audio book was abridged, so it's worth less to me than it would have been. Thankfully, I had reserved a paperback edition, so it shouldn't take too long. Indeed, they probably will give me the very same copy I returned. I probably ought to have waited for them to reshelve it and then just check it out again the same day, but that seemed too awkward, and I can't hang around all day waiting.

While waiting for them to move it from the return bin to the reserved shelf (which will probably take a few days somehow), I have other options. The library's digital download of the book is not one of them, since there is somehow a waiting list. How is there a waiting list for a book they can distribute infinite copies of with no difficulty? You ask a damn good question. No, my other option is a digital version of the book from some school in Texas, so for once I'm glad for the Lone Star State. Between it and all the rest, I'll finally put down "Atlas Shrugged for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?