Wednesday, April 23, 2014

On And On

My enthusiasm for watching VHS tapes continues unabated, and I'm pleased to say that I've gotten back underneath 50 unwatched tapes. It was not so long ago that I was above 70, and I have even taken some new tapes in during this time, so getting to 49 is a meaningful accomplishment as far as sitting in front of a TV for any reason is concerned. To prove what I've done, let me here give brief descriptions of the conquered films as I have sometimes done in the past.

Each of these two films is one that has been sitting around in my collection for want of any severe interest on my part. They looked good enough to buy, but for a long time not good enough to watch. The first was "Light Years", which was laboring under the hindrance of looking like a pretty good movie. It's a French animated film based on an Isaac Asimov story, and contains the voice acting of some notable actors. It plays like an unusually heady "Heavy Metal" story. It was as good as it appeared to be.

The second film was Garry Marshal's directorial debut, but don't go pre-judging it on that basis. It's "Young Doctors In Love", and while it doesn't match up to the likes of superior parody film examples "Airplane" and "The Naked Gun", it's not the worst. There are a lot of stories going on in it, and it does a fair job of finding enough oxygen for them all. I was reasonably engaged in the whole thing, and for more reason than just to see the numerous actors I'm fond of who found work on this film's dime.

I'm building a pretty decent routine out of watching a film or two most nights (so long as I've got nothing better to do and have accomplished an adequate amount during the day). I am, I must admit, finding it more and more difficult to settle on movies to watch, which is surprising considering how many I still have. I think that I regard too many of them as being prime material for my ongoing VHS Vault viewing parties. The trouble with that is that if they're all fit for that and I reserve them on that basis, then it will take years. Some will have to be for my eyes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?