Sunday, May 4, 2014

Jawed

This post comes a day late, as my once-vaunted record for delivering a post a day is no longer what it was. It's getting harder. When I started in 2009, there was relatively little going on for me, and so it was easy then to devote endless amounts of time to things like blog posts and Toastmasters speeches. Then I could give one every few weeks and lavish lots of prep time on it. Now I do one speech every few months, and invariably with little more than hours of time spent readying it.

Who wants to hear about that, though? Let me tell you about a movie I've seen. As I think I've said, I've been working at making better use of my Netflix account. Instead of just the instant view, I've been making an effort to get the discs back in a timely fashion. That's been easier with the added motivation of "How Did This Get Made?". Watching the movies they cover in their episodes has been enjoyable, and I've just knocked off another one.

It's "Jaws 3D", or just Jaws 3 as it is known on home video. On watching "Jaws 2", I was struck by what a drop-off there was from the original. There was not even a glimmer of the greatness of that film, suggesting that Spielberg brought it all. The second film was still reasonably watchable, though. The third film was not incredibly watchable. Had I seen it in 3d in theaters, maybe I'd be saying something else, but the story is terrible and the effects are maybe even worse.

Still, I got some enjoyment from it. It was kind of interesting watching Dennis Quaid in the lead role, and Louis Gossett, Jr is always fun to watch. Even the horrific effects are fun to watch in their own way, and the climactic stunt really was stunning. I am quite eager to watch the fourth and final entry in the Jaws series, which is the one that has most gotten a reputation for being bad. As bad as the second and third ones are, 4 must really be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?