Friday, June 13, 2014

Skip It!

Yesterday I managed to skip a day writing for this blog, which upsets me to an unreasonable degree. It is no longer as if I am breaking precedent, as there now have been several days since 2009 which have passed without a new post. That is still a pretty good record considering no one expects anything of me along these lines except myself. Those are the hardest circumstances under which to remain disciplined: when you know with virtual certainty that no one will know.

In any event, here I am today to get back on the horse. It seems an opportune time to consider changes. I could adopt a movie-reviewing format without costing myself readers. I have hardly any, and anyway I have been doing a lot of little reviews lately anyway. It's something I do feel enthusiasm for, and focusing on that would stand a reasonable chance of gaining me a lot of readers. I believe that people expect consistency, which I have always delivered, and a precise focus, which I never have.

Of course I cannot be the only one online to review movies. Indeed, I don't know if I even could be the lone reviewer of VHS tapes, though that would be a select group. What I would have to be is the best, and that would means writing less often in order to really do justice to each film. I could imagine posting no more than once or twice a week, with each one being a thorough dissection based on repeated viewings and copious notes. I have once or twice gotten that in depth, and I was very pleased with how those turned out.

Change is hard and scary even when the stakes are as low as this. Imagine how it is for someone who switches from English muffins to oatmeal for breakfast with great reluctance. I will consider shaking things up, and should it happen you can count on far more reflection on what has been than is warranted. There won't be tears, though. There will never be tears, no matter how much they might be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?