Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Something New, Something More

I had a notable meal late yesterday afternoon. Some friends and I went out rather on the spur of the moment in order to celebrate a happy professional development of mine, and it's common for us to hit a local sushi restaurant at such times. It's mostly been my modus operandi to order a few of the basic rolls (usually after quickly looking up the difference between hand and cut rolls), but I found myself remembering our last visit and something that happened during it.

A big group of us were there then, and I think we may have been marking the occasion of someone's birthday. The restaurant's staff was, understandably, tested by our numbers, and depended on us to say who was supposed to have which order as they brought it out. You wouldn't think it would be hard to know what order was mine, particularly given my above-stated penchant for certain items, but then that would mean you didn't know me.

A rather extravagant-looking plate of sushi came out, and the server seemed to think it could be mine. I really didn't think it looked like it could be, but something convinced me that maybe I was wrong, and I ate the order. I found soon enough that it had belonged to someone else at the table, and I sheepishly paid for it with apologies for denying them part of their order. It was a rather embarrassing episode, though one that I was permitted to live down.

The incident did teach me the value of the more severe rolls as opposed to the ones I had become accustomed to, and so yesterday I ordered the "Number One Sushi Roll", which proved to be some really delicious rolls underneath an enormous pile of onions. I manfully tried to consume them, but found myself unequal to the task. The rolls (as well as those of my friends, which I sampled in exchange for some of mine) were very good, as were the tea and sake we washed them down with. It was a nice meal with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?