Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Turnaround

I watched the USA's first World Cup game yesterday. I was aware of it coming up and had some interest, my words to the contrary aside. In truth, soccer (the World Cup included) is like most things for me: in a vacuum, there's every chance that I'll enjoy it. In connection with other people, that is not so. Other people's involvement in anything is more likely to put me off than anything else, which is too bad. I feel badly about that. I'll own up to struggling with socializing, and that problem of mine leaves me less into any number of things.

I don't have a base level interest in the game, the event and the general prestige of my country in whatever form that takes. I certainly would rather the USA wins than loses, and the game isn't really so bad. If I understood it better, I'd like it better (since the long stretches between shots on goal would have some meaning for me), but I know enough, and it's kind of fun to watch the game. I wish some things about it were different, and I wish we could make it more our own (in such areas as the lingo, songs traditions & such(, but I kind of enjoy watching the game now and then.

America's first game was against Ghana. They're a small nation, but I gather that they are one of the best-run, most prosperous ones in Africa. I have been reading tweets from other Americans concerning the game seeking to shame those of us who were very eager for a US victory, but it seems less kind to Ghana to take that attitude that to pay them the compliment of treating them as we would any other foe. Not only that, but the knowledge that they are really relatively strong as a country make these people just plain wrong.

Any, the game was largely a good one. For the US it was bookended by two goals which came in what was to my eyes dramatic circumstances. Ghana got their licks, in, and were generally impressive. They were physical, energetic and full of resolve. It was evident to me that they were as good as the US and maybe better. With some more luck, they might easily have triumphed. As it was, the US victory was hard-won, coming at the cost of several injuries that may impair the team in upcoming games.

I'm not overly troubled. It was never overly likely that the US could go and win the whole thing, and if that's not a realistic prospect, then why worry over key players being out? The coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, has what looks like a promising path ahead mapped out. He explicitly said the team couldn't win this time around, and if that seems a foolhardy, harsh statement, it's also a realistic one that opens up the possibility of planning for the longterm instead of entertaining hopes that we're somehow on the same level as Germany, Italy or Brazil. We're not, but someday we could be, even if the country never throws its more traditional games aside for the world's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?