Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Foch Does It

A roommate and I were watching some TV after I'd returned from a sketch comedy show (which is a story in itself), and I saw he had on Carson Daly's awful show that follows "Late Night". In response to my question, he affirmed that he wasn't married to it and I quickly started flipping through the channels, ultimately settling on the intriguingly-titled "Escape In The Fog". It had been on for a little bit at this point, but I think we caught most of it.

It featured an actress who I really love, Nina Foch. She was in a lot of big movies, "Spartacus" and "The Ten Commandments" among them, but my favorite is "Executive Suite". In this film, she plays a military nurse recovering from some kind of breakdown (as I learned later from looking the movie up). She has some dreams of a guy getting killed, then meets that guy and winds up entangled in a whole cloak and dagger operation.

Of course the fog is a big deal. The film takes place in San Francisco, and most outdoor shots feature some of the most aggressive fog you'll ever see. It hugs the walls of buildings and tries to force its way inside. It doesn't rely on ghost pirates to do its work, as the fog of "The Fog" would later- instead, it is stout enough to do that all by itself. It's really a terrible shame that it wasn't in every outdoor shot or any indoor shots. That would have improved the film.

"Escape In The Fox" is a classic "girl with moxie" role for Nina Foch, who I can't help but mention again. She regrettably gets to do little but play the victim. I wish like hell she could have been a hero in her own right. Maybe it's so that she paved the way for the women who did. Outside of her there aren't a ton of people worth paying attention to. The leading man's fine, and so are the villains, I guess. It was a pretty satisfying movie all around, There were opportunities to poke fun at it, but not so many.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?